Actually, it's not about *visual* differentiation (which I can do),
but differentiation that can, say, be discerned by an AppleScript or a
Smart Folder. (For the record, 4938 refs, 3119 single files, and 304 >
1 file).

For example, I put together syllabi with an AppleScript that copies
references and PDFs to a separate directory for easy distribution. The
AppleScript can't tell the difference between a local file that is the
actual PDF and a local file that is a related PDF. But if I could tag
the correct local file (or, much easier, tag the incorrect ones!) then
an AppleScript or a smart folder could do it. My current smart folders
allow me to find articles that don't have PDFs (of the article)
easily; the new architecture doesn't.

Now, I certainly don't think this needs to be in 1.3.13 (I already
have a workaround for my scripts through script hooks: everything
added to the local-url field is added automatically as a linked file,
and vice versa if local-url isn't yet filled in) I'm partially
thinking out loud about how the current metadata-in-a-file support in
BibDesk (Skim notes!) could be expanded to include tagging files with
other metadata. One way to do it would be to use Finder metadata;
another just to store it in xattrs on each PDF. Of course, that might
take forever to read in, so it might be easier (faster?) to do it
within BibDesk instead.

-AHM