On Jan 11, 2008 7:08 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 11 Jan 2008, at 6:46 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

> > On Friday, January 11, 2008, at 09:29AM, "Christiaan Hofman"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I don't think tags for local files can ever be scriptable. Linked
> >> files in AppleScripts are just file objects (which are nothing but
> >> URLs).
> >
> > Unless we added a tag property that was stored in BibDesk, within
> > the link blob (so not a Finder tag)?  That would only work if the
> > linked file objects aren't destroyed/recreated from a URL, and it
> > wouldn't be visible to other apps.
> >

> No, my remark is more fundamental about scripting support. The object
> returned for scripting is nothing but a bare URL. It has no knowledge
> of anything in BibDesk. It is also virtually impossible to define
> properties for those built-in types (at least, I haven't got a clue
> how to do it, certainly not using Cocoa).

Of course it could have been done differently, but that requires  an extra
layer of objects, which is annoying for scripting. E.g., you couldn't pass
the object to Finder or in any other way use it as an ordinary file objects.
You'd have to do something like 'file of linked file 1', which is weird. And
also 'linked files contains aFile' would not work.