On Friday, January 11, 2008, at 09:29AM, "Christiaan Hofman" <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On 8 Jan 2008, at 5:35 AM, Alexander H. Montgomery wrote:
>
>> Actually, it's not about *visual* differentiation (which I can do),
>> but differentiation that can, say, be discerned by an AppleScript or a
>> Smart Folder. (For the record, 4938 refs, 3119 single files, and 304 >
>> 1 file).
>>
>> For example, I put together syllabi with an AppleScript that copies
>> references and PDFs to a separate directory for easy distribution. The
>> AppleScript can't tell the difference between a local file that is the
>> actual PDF and a local file that is a related PDF. But if I could tag
>> the correct local file (or, much easier, tag the incorrect ones!) then
>> an AppleScript or a smart folder could do it. My current smart folders
>> allow me to find articles that don't have PDFs (of the article)
>> easily; the new architecture doesn't.
>>

>I don't think tags for local files can ever be scriptable. Linked
>files in AppleScripts are just file objects (which are nothing but
>URLs).

Unless we added a tag property that was stored in BibDesk, within the link blob
(so not a Finder tag)?  That would only work if the linked file objects aren't
destroyed/recreated from a URL, and it wouldn't be visible to other apps.

If we allow get/set Finder label (not sure how hard that would be), you could
get the files and query Finder for the label.  Definitely not in 1.3.13, though
:).

--
adam