On 27 Jan 2008, at 10:33 PM, Rolf Schmolling wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I noticed sth. peculiar: I wanted to check how well any Skim-
> highlights would show up in Preview (none…) and tried to open the
> respective attached pdf-file in BibDesk (the new pane) via ctrl.-click
> and chosing Preview.
>
> Unfortunately an (almost) never-ending line of Acrobats…, Skims… and
> finally Previews… showed up. Chosing the first one later showed that
> those were all the apps backed up by TimeMachine. If I try to do the
> same thing in Finder, the ctrl.-click-menu does look normal. Since I
> plan NOT to switch of indexing my TimeMachine-Backup-volume, any idea
> what to do about this problem? My own workaround: show in Finder and
> THEN using the "open by"-menu not withstanding.
> I am sure my launch-services-databse is ok (otherwise I'd have the
> same problem in Finder).
>
> Greetings,
>
> Rolf

It is certainly in the Launch Services, as we just create the Open
With... menu from the list we get from Launch Services. I don't know
what Finder does. I guess it does some extra filtering of the
returned app. It does show less apps for me. It's stupid LS does not
do this. I'm not sure how this should be fixed. Perhaps we should
have to filter out duplicates.