Is Skim the default app for PDFs? If so, this is mostly a problem of
Apple, because it chooses a random copy as the default (and that's
the one we always include). E.g. if you just double-click in Finder,
which one will it choose? On my computer it consistently chooses the
wrong copy. I filed a bug report with Apple a while ago, which they
don't want to acknowledge. Otherwise we should always prefer the
version in /Applications, if it exists. Is that not the case for you?
I have no idea how to recognize a version from Time Machine.

Christiaan