Hi all,

it looks like Bibtex reproducibly crashes my machine at work so badly
that the whole computer becomes unresponsive, does not recover even
after an hour or longer, and needs to be cold restarted.

While I am, admittedly, not entirely sure that BibTeX is the real
culprit, this crash always and *reproducibly* happens when I have
several applications open (typically TeXShop, BibTeX, Adobe
Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, ChemDraw, Mail, Safari, and MS Word),
BibTeX has been inactive or even hidden for a while, and I then click
on its application icon in the dock in order to bring it to the front
again.

It has happened to me a couple of times in recent weeks (so not only
with 1.3.14, but I cannot remember since when), and it also happened
yesterday (i.e., definitely with 1.3.14).

I cannot really remember that this has ever happened to me on my
laptop at home (which may also be related to different usage
patterns) so the actual setup of my machine at work may be an
important factor: I use an Intel iMac with 2 GB of RAM, MacOS 10.4,
and we have a relatively complex setup (under MacOS 10.4) booting the
machines locally but with remote home directories (mounted using NIS,
NFS, and automount).

I will be happy to be more specific if needed, and I will also
gratefully help to "debug" the problem if someone can tell me how. I
am hesitant to start BibTeX again because of the severe consequences,
but I will do so if this helps to find the reason for the crash.
However, perhaps one might take a look at what happened yesterday first.

Best regards
Holger

__
Dr. Holger Frauenrath