On Feb 21, 2008, at 6:34 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:

> Do you have a panic log at /Library/Logs?  It's more likely that
> BibDesk
> or some other app is tickling an OS bug, since an application bug
> should
> at worst crash that app, not hang the system.
>
> Another thing to try: next time this happens, see if you can ssh into
> your machine, and run
>
> ps auxwww > ps.txt
> top -l 20 > ps.txt
>
> and then sample any hanging processes (top -u will show the CPU hog,
> if
> any).  Be sure to copy the samples somewhere safe, since /tmp gets
> nuked
> on reboot.

Hi Adam,

I went home. :-) So I will have to take a look at this tomorrow. I
should not have called the crasher *reproducible*. It happened to me
about six times in the past five days, but today, nothing happened
after I opened BibDesk and used it for a couple of hours. On the other
hand, I *constantly* used it today and, as I said before, the crash
always happened after it had been idle for a while. I also suspect
that it is rather a combination of events (or applications) that
triggers it but the ultimate trigger has definitely been clicking on
the BibDesk icon.

One thing I discovered when looking for the possible reason is that I
am still on 10.4.10, though ... which I will in any case fix tomorrow.

I will post again to the list in case the net crash happens.

Best regards
Holger

__
Dr. Holger Frauenrath