On 17 Jun 2008, at 10:34 PM, Christian wrote:

> Hello,
>
> from time to time I think about the organisation of my papers with
> using the auto file feature of bibdesk.
>
> Do you used to organise your papers all in one fixed location (one
> folder for all papers) or relative to each document?

I'm using a fixed location containing all the papers. When you have a
single .bib database that usually is the best solution. And BibDesk is
mostly developed with a single (main) database in mind, though it's
not required. I think it only makes sense to use a document-relative
location when you want to keep different (main) databases around
(which is not really necessary because of the grouping features), or
when you want to keep synchronized databases and libraries on
different computers.

> By the way, would there be a way to use fixed location with auto file
> and create a subfolder with the name of the actual bib file name?
>

> Thanks in advance...
> Christian

Yes, use the %b format specifier in the auto-file format, e.g, "%b/
%a1:%Y%u0%e".