Hi Christiaan,

I'll provide an example.
In a bib file saved in UTF-8 the following entry is exported with the
standard rtf export template:

        @book{Meyer:2000aa,
        Address = {Gräflingen},
        Author = {Meyer, Heinrich},
        Booktitle = {Die Abenteuer der üblen Röstwurst},
        Date-Added = {2008-07-13 15:25:32 +0200},
        Date-Modified = {2008-07-13 15:26:10 +0200},
        Title = {Die Abenteuer der üblen Röstwurst},
        Year = {2000}}

export output:
[Meyer(2000)]   Meyer, Heinrich: Die Abenteuer der üblen Röstwurst,
Gräflingen 2000.

The editor I copied the export into has UTF-8 set as default. I have
reset the standard templates to make sure I have not modified it in
any way.

Cheers,

Alex