On 7 Aug 2008, at 5:42 PM, Stephan Kurz wrote:

> Dear Christiaan,
>
> Thanks for your quick response. I have been busy doing other things,
> that's why I only answer today. I have been trying to isolate the
> items that cause BD to crash and found some items that trigger the
> behaviour.
>
>> And what may perhaps be more important is the .bib file. Where is
>> it located when you open it, is it on the computer itself?
>

> It is stored in a local working copy of my SVN repository.
>
> Situation (might help to reproduce) is the following.
> I am using BD 1.3.18 on my Intel iMac running OS X 10.5.4
> bib-file: stored locally.
> AutoFile preferences are set to /Volumes/myserver/somefolder
> /Volumes/myserver/somefolder is mounted via smb://
> linked files are standard PDF files
>
> There are 3 items in the file. The first two do trigger a crash, and
> the last one doesn't. When I delete the Bdsk-File-1 fields of the
> crasher items: no crash.
> That the last item does not crash BD is weird since I added the
> linked files at the same step.

And all 3 are on your myserver volume?

> Probably it has to do something with the publication type
> (@incollection)?

No, the type is irrelevant.

> If /Volumes/myserver/somefolder is not mounted, no crash happens
> (that also counts for the full bib file with 841 entries), I only
> get a lot of warnings in the style of
> "master.bib           71              warning         possible runaway string
> started at line 52"

Those particular warnings are not important in this case.

> If I mount /Volumes/myserver/somefolder while BD is open with either
> the small bib or the full one, and afterwards select an item with a
> linked file, BD crashes.

It only crashes when you mount when BD is open, or also if you mount
before launching BD?

> <small-crash.bib>
>
> I hope that this helps to narrow it down. Should I file a bug report
> on Sourceforge as well?

It probably is relevant that the files are on a separate volume. And
it's important that the .bib file is on your local volume, so that
should discard some possibilities. However strangely enough your crash
report seemed to point to resolving your .bib file, so that's strange.
Do all the crash report look the same (in particular the first 10
items in the trace)? ATM I still haven't got a clue why it crashes.

Christiaan