On 7 Aug 2008, at 7:14 PM, Stephan Kurz wrote:

>>> Oops, I did not check that. I have two different crash reports in
>>> the
>>> "thread 0" section. I copied both below.
>>
>> How long are the paths that cause a crash vs. the one that does not
>> (as in
>> number of characters)?
>
> /Volumes/6chars/literatur/Bohme-Fetischismus im 19. Jahrhundert.
> Wissenschaftshistorische Analysen zur Karriere-2000a.pdf
> /Volumes/6chars/literatur/Aspalter-Ironieverlust und verleugnete
> Rezeption_ Kontroversen um Romantik-2006a.pdf

Really? I thought the volume was called kurzs6.

> the ones above do crash, but not the one below not.
>
> /Volumes/6chars/literatur/Kubac-Notwendige Illusionen. Solidarische
> Anmerkungen zu bildungswissenschaftlicher-2005a.pdf

It's even the longest one. For the rest I see no relevant difference.
That's really weird.

>> Did you check the console log for any other error messages?
>
> There are quite a lot since I tried to reproduce the behaviour for a
> while deleting different parts of my file until I came down to 3
> items, so I just copy the last ones.
>
> Stephan

Well, all crash reports seem to point to the same point in code, in
BDSKPathToFSRef. But I fail to see why that could lead to a crash, I
cannot reproduce any crash using the code, trying to reproduce similar
input. I get the impression it's got something to do with the
particular volume.

Christiaan

<snip>