On 7 Jan 2009, at 7:33 PM, Gregory Jefferis wrote:

> ( cced to BibDesk users in case any BibDesk + PubMed users want to
> comment
> on the choice of journal title field for PubMed imports.)
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> On 2009-01-07 15:24, "Christiaan Hofman" <cmhof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Gregory, (or anyone), can you look over the current PubMed mappings
>> in
>> TypeInfo.plist in the current SVN?
>
> Yes, I have been looking over them as you worked on this over the
> last few
> days.
>
> I think the only point of major significance is the choice of default
> Journal name field.  The options are JT and TA:
>
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/mms/medlineelements.html#jt
> http://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/mms/medlineelements.html#ta
>
> Here are 2 examples.
>
> TA    -     JAMA
> JT    -     JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association
>
> TA    -     Curr Biol
> JT    -     Current biology : CB
>
> Until now the PubMed parser has been filling in the Journal title
> with the
> TA field and dropping the JT field.  Current SVN uses the JT field
> and keeps
> the TA field.  I think that the best behaviour would be to continue
> to use
> the TA field but keep the JT field.  This is both to maintain
> consistency
> for existing database and because the JT field often contains more
> than the
> full title eg in those 2 examples above.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Greg.

Thanks. I chose JT because its description seemed closer to bibtex's
Journal field, that is, it's description suggests it includes /only/
the full title name (rather than the weird values you quote). If TA
generally contains the more appropriate value, it's better to use
that. Do most entries have a TA field when it's needed?

As for the date, I've moved the PY field to the bibtex Date field, and
parsed it for the Year and Month, if available. So the full value of
the PY field is retained.