On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Christiaan Hofman <cmhof...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 28 Jan 2009, at 4:30 PM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>

>> On Jan 28, 2009, at 6:54 AM, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
>>
>>  On Jan 28, 2009, at 4:05 AM, Jonas Zimmermann wrote:
>>>
>>>  Adam, Thanks a lot! definitely no waste of time! Although I must say I
>>>>

>>> I implemented it using the color picker, since that's what's used in
>>> Mail.  You can also predefine colors in the color picker, although I
>>> recognize that's not what you want.
>>>

>> One additional note:  Finder labels are predefined because the file system
>> only has (IIRC) 4 bits of storage available for them in FinderInfo.  They're
>> a holdover from classic Mac OS, and Apple converted them to gradients in
>> order to look less dated.  I'd also guess that with modern storage limits,
>> Apple might have used a standard color UI in Finder, as well (which might
>> also have accessibility benefits; I'm not sure).
>>

> I've also, for testing purposes, added some simple color support based on
> finder labels to the current source. I've named the field Bdsk-Label to
> avoid confusion, it should have integer values 0-7. Be aware that it's
> supposed private, for testing purposes only, and can be radically changed or
> removed at any time, so don't rely on it.
>
> Christiaan

I've changed it to use Adam's ideas, so using Mail's procedures. The main
reason is that it requires almost no UI, and the UI it adds is completely
standard.

One small technical (incompatible) difference with Adam's approach is that I
store the color as a string representing an unsigned 32 bit int rather than
a signed one (I solved the sign problem by reading the string using
longLongValue, which is always big enough to represent an uint32_t).