Thanks for the explanation, Simon.
With looking up some of the terms, I think (!) I roughly understood it. :)

But my bibliography still does not quite work:
The «The Not So Short Introduction to LATEX2ε» which I had looked at
earlier, simply recommends BibTex without much explanation on
Bibliographies.

I have downloaded all the stuff recommended by Kirk
(http://bibdesk-users.661331.n2.nabble.com/Finding-for-customising-styles-td6655650.html).
and written
"\usepackage{biblatex}%Dies ist f¸r die Bibliothek
\usepackage{csquotes}%für biblatex"
in my preamble
and
"\addcontentsline{toc}{chapter}{Bibliographie}%
\bibliography{standard}
\bibliographystyle{footnote-dw}"
at the end of my document.

I have draged and droped one item of my BibDesk Library into my document,
which looks like this:
 "\cite{Lange:1972gx}"

When I try to compile, I get the following error:
"Package biblatex error: file xxxxx.bbl not created by biblatex"
(by the way: how can I copy and paste parts from the yellow error box?)

I have also read about a third of the extensive pdf documention for biblatex
now, but this does not help me much. All the information about "entry types"
and "entry fields" assumes that I can enter information like authors and
titles in some fields of a visible program (like EndNote or BibDesk).
Where is this surface/program/set of entry fields for biblatex?????

You are right, someone to do these first steps with me, would be really
helpful. Unfortunately the only friend of mine who has some LaTeX experience
is on holidays the next 3 weeks. In October I can probably take a course at
the university on LaTeX, but the "deadline" for my first chapter was
actually yesterday, so I should figure out the basics soon, since my
supervisor and I agree that it makes sense to take the time to format the
paper correctly now, instead of beginning it in Word and having to manually
edit it later.

Liebe Grüße,
Sebastian