On Nov 16, 2011, at 21:50, FZiegler wrote:

> Christiaan Hofman wrote:
>
>>> 2. Subsidiary question: while at it, would it be possible for me to
>>> switch from having, *written in the .bib file* a Local-Url like
>>>
>>> file://localhost/Volumes/Home/FZ/Documents/Archive/<etc>,   (**)
>>>
>>> to something more portable
>>
>> The local URL fields accept all kinds of values, file URLs, absolute paths,
>> relative paths from the database, and tilde-abbreviated. To convert you
>> could use a (apple)script or the Database Find and Replace feature.
>
> Thank you! This solves my problem #2. I hadn't realized that I should
> simply edit the field to something other than what BibDesk writes on
> autofile. That was instant to do with find & replace in a text editor.

Note that BibDesk has that same feature, that you can use for specific fields.

> I still had to use a more pedestrian process to URL-decode all spaces
> and diacritics (ah Pavel Šťovíček...), and guess I'll have to keep doing
> so from now on. While that would make "Local-URL" a misnomer, it would
> seem more logical if BibDesk simply didn't URL-encode at all, when what
> I write in AutoFile Preferences (viz., ~/Documents/Math/Archive) doesn't
> look like the beginning of an URL...

A URL must be URL encoded, otherwise it's not a URL. And what you write is the
preference is a path, always. A path that is the basis for a URL.

Anyway, for BibDesk nowadays this is totally irrelevant, because it does not do
autofile for a field.

>>> 1. Main question: is there a simple edit I could make to turn off the
>>> aliases and stay with the old "Local-Url" method of filing? (I'm willing
>>> to compile Bibdesk if necessary.)
>>>

>> Default Fields Preferences, uncheck automatic conversion.
>>
>> However you wont be able to use several features, such as auto filing and
>> dropping files, except from applescript.
>
> That's a bummer, because filing by dropping is (for me) BibDesk's #1
> nicest feature -- and, my experience with applescript is nil.
>
> Are you saying that the entire functionality *can* be restored via
> applescript? If so, I'll try to learn how. If not, would you say that
> I'm better off just staying with 1.3.12 indefinitely?
>
> Thanks again,
> Francois

You could restore that functionality using script hooks. I would certainly not
say you're better off with 1.3.12.

Another option is to use the linked files anyway, but have them backed up in
the Local-Url field. Is it really such a problem when others see one extra
field?