On 02/14/2013 09:38 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
Robert Moskowitz <r...@htt-consult.com> wrote:
On 02/14/2013 09:05 AM, Warren Kumari wrote:
BIND now comes with a baked in roots file (in the imaginatively named
lib/dns/rootns.c )
Not (at least by that name) in the Redhat/Centos 6.3 bind 9.8.2.
That is a source file name which is compiled into the binary. You don't
need any extra files in the installation.

There is no need for a named.root file, and is just another thing to go
wrong…
Is there anything needed in the named.conf to actuate this if you do have it?
The default is to use the built-in hints.

That makes sense.  Smart people that put this together  ;)

Given the expansion of AAAA records, I think I am going to stay with an explicit root file this time around.