For options that have passed their warning phase and have been removed, I'm all
for BIND failing to start and named-checkconf erroring out , rather than
quietly ignoring them.

Usless cruft is useless. You're going to the trouble of doing a
major-version-upgrade, take the time to tune the config to suit it.

If you're using automation tools, hopefully you've run it through at least one
test system before hitting production, yes?

Stuart