I walked out of my exam at 10am today, at Lambton College in Sarnia to see
Kettles of Broad-winged Hawks streaming overhead. By the time I had walked
to my Residence building 2 minutes away, I had counted 328. I grabbed my
Scope and Camera and set up on the Soccer Field behind the school. NE winds
slowly pushed the birds south, and I followed them south until 2;30pm when I
lost the flight line.  (I went as far south as LaSalle Line in Sarnia).

I my total for Broad-winged Hawks was 5,512. I recorded 9 species total,
with 1 Red-shouldered Hawk being the only thing slightly unusual. The totals
for the other species would probably have been much higher, however I spent
most of the time counting the Broad-winged Hawks. 13 Sandhill Cranes (in 3
groups) and several common loons were also seen migrating past.

The flight was very large before I was able to get set up, and 4700 of the
BW's came in the first three hours when the birds were lower and there was
some cloud to help spot them. Later in the day, the cloud dissipated and the
birds gained a lot of height. I believe that many more could have passed by
undetected today.

Good Birding!

Brandon Holden
Sarnia, Ontario