Good afternoon people.

 Just returned for one final bird outing (for this season) on the Toronto
Islands. It started out as a beautiful day and stayed that way except that
after about noon a strong northwest wind developed and kind quieted an already
quiet birding day. I went down there today to hopefully find some migrant
Flycatchers and in this I was successful with 6 species and after shaking the
bushes I also came up with 11 Warbler species, not many of each but more than I
expected.

 The best Flycatcher was an Acadian Flycatcher in what we call "The Trap" and I
also found Least, Willow and Great Crested Flycatchers as well as eastern Wood
Pewees and Eastern Kingbirds. All of these Flycatchers were very co-operative
and were calling, even the Kingbirds.

 I also found 2 Mourning Warblers and Blackpoll, Blackburnian and Wilson's
Warblers as well as 2 Black-billed Cuckoos, one was behind the washroom
directly south of the Wards Island ferry dock and one was on Snake Island
(softly calling).

 A surprise find was 6 Canvasbacks in the trout pond on Gibralter Point.

 DIRECTIONS:-
TORONTO ISLANDS (Wards Island to Hanlans Point - without side trips is 5 km)

To get to the Toronto Islands from Queen and Yonge Streets on the TTC. If your
on the subway southbound stay on it and get off at Union Station, walk south
about 1 km to the ferry docks at the foot of Bay Street at Queens Quay and you
are there. If in an auto on the Gardener Expressway or on Lakeshore Blvd, then
exit at Bay Street and drive south to Queens Quay, there are lots of parking
lots nearby (fee).

There is a fee for using the island ferries ($6.00 adult / $3.50 for seniors &
students) and to find out the sailing times you can phone (416) 392-8193. There
are washrooms on the islands as well as the city side at the ferry docks and
you can pick up a schedule at the docks or check on line.

The 1st boat to Wards Island (my preferred starting point) is 6:35 am and the
2nd is 7:00 am Monday to Friday.

The 1st is at 6:35 am and the 2nd boat is at 7:15 am on Saturday, Sunday and
Holidays.

The 1st boat to Hanlans Point is 8:00 am and the 2nd boat is at 8:30 am Monday
to Friday.

The 1st is at 8:15 am and the 2nd boat is at 9:15 am on Saturday, Sunday and
Holidays.

If arriving in early am you must obtain your ticket from a machine just inside
the gate so be sure to have $1.00 and $2.00 and/or 25 cent coins before you
arrive at the docks as there is no place to get change and the machine does not
make change. (There is a change machine (up to a $10 bill) there if you want to
chance it).

There are coffee shops across from the ferry docks in the building on the
northwest corner and they are open early. food and beverages on The Islands
when open are very expensive i.e. soft drink around $2.50 ( now $3.00). If you
are birding from Wards the soft drink machine beside the fire station sells
juice, iced tea, etc. for $1.00.

For a detailed ferry schedule check the following web site.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/springschedule.htm

THE TRAP - This area is the area west of the bridge onto Snug Harbour just
short of the old island church and the arial cars. - The bridge to Snug Harbour
is the 3rd bridge from the Wards Island Ferry, Snake is the 2nd bridge.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON

"Sils mordent, mords les"