Hi Winter Birders,

Bird Studies Canada is tracking the year-round distribution of Short-eared
Owls, so please pass along your winter sightings.  If you see a Short-eared
Owl, please send me an email with the following information:

Location (coordinates, or general description), number of birds, date, time,
activity of the birds (flying, roosting, hunting, etc.), name of observer, and
any other information that you feel may be pertinent.

We will be setting up an online sightings page to track Short-eared Owls, which
will allow people to report sightings online from across Canada.  However, this
is not ready yet, so for now please send me your sightings and they will
eventually get entered into the database.  We will also ensure that all data
from Christmas Bird Counts and Ebird are incorporated into the database.  In
addition to casual sightings, if anyone lives near a winter roost site and
would like to periodically count the number of birds present, please let me
know.

Bird Studies Canada is part of a National Working Group on Short-eared Owls and
we hope that this study will help increase our understanding of this species'
winter distribution.

Thanks,

Debbie Badzinski