I must have had thoughts of warblers in my head when I mentioned late last
night that the first Greater Snow Geese arrived on May 11 (should be March
11). That would be closer to a departure date. I checked with my contact
at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge in upstate New York this morning and
they have a full complement of the birds there now and likely within a few
days more of the geese or possibly even the main flocks will head down the
St. Lawrence towards Quebec. They also have an early Greater Yellowlegs.

There is no single location to expect to see any this weekend and it is
early in the migration yet but flooded fields north of Hwy 401 near
Ingleside can be checked, as well as on the river along Hwy 2 at Long
Sault. East of Cornwall, immediately east of Williamstown is worth
checking as is Cty Rd 34 north of Hwy 401 to Green Valley, then both south
and north of Hwy 401 along the service roads from Lancaster to the Quebec
border. The St. Lawrence is opening up in sections and it will likely be
another week before there is much open water.

For those familiar with the Long Sault Parkway which runs from Ingleside
to Long Sault, the Parkway is closed while construction is being completed
but you can still cross the causeway at Long Sault and go onto the first
island.

Brian Morin
Cornwall