Good morning Eric,

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Saturday, July 6, 2019 3:27 AM, Eric Voskuil <e...@voskuil.org> wrote:

> > On Jul 4, 2019, at 21:05, ZmnSCPxj zmnsc...@protonmail.com wrote:
> > Good morning Eric,
> >
> > > As with Bitcoin mining, it is the consumed cost that matters in this
> > > scenario, (i.e., not the hash rate, or in this case the encumbered coin
> > > face value). Why would the advertiser not simply be required to burn .1
> > > coin for the same privilege, just as miners burn energy? Why would it not
> > > make more sense to spend that coin in support of the secondary network
> > > (e.g. paying for confirmation security), just as with the burning of
> > > energy in Bitcoin mining?
>
> Good morning ZmnSCPxj,
>
> > Using the unspentness-time of a UTXO allows for someone advertising a
> > service or producer to "close up shop" by simply spending the advertising
> > UTXO.
> > For instance, if the advertisement is for sale of a limited stock of goods,
> > once the stock has been sold, the merchant (assuming the merchant used own
> > funds) can simply recover the locked funds, with the potential to reinvest
> > them elsewhere.
> > This allows some time-based hedging for the merchant (they may be willing
> > to wait indefinitely for the stock to be sold, but once the stock is sold,
> > they can immediately reap the rewards of not having their funds locked
> > anymore).
>
> This is a materially different concept than proposed by Tamas.
>
> “...he gives up his control of the coins until maturity, he can not use them
> elsewhere until then.”

Possibly.
In a way, this is giving up control of the coin, until he no longer needs the
advertisement, i.e. dynamically select the maturity age needed.

> > Similarly, an entity renting out a UTXO for an advertisement might allow
> > for early reclamation of the UTXO in exchange for partial refund of fee; as
> > the value in the UTXO is now freed to be spent elsewhere, the lessor can
> > lease it to another advertiser.
>
> You appear to be proposing a design whereby either the owner or the renter
> (not entirely clear to me which) can spend the “locked up” coin at any time
> (no maturity constraint), by dropping the covenant.
>
> If the renter can do this he can simply steal the coin from the owner.
>
> If the owner can do this there is no value to the renter (or as a proof of
> cost), as the owner retains full control of the coin.

Obviously this will require a 2-of-2 multisig, with an timelocked transaction
that lets the owner recover at a futuredate, so that it is the agreement of
*both* that is needed to perform any actions before the timelock.
I already described this in the link I provided.

> If you mean that the age of the encumbrance is the proof of cost, this
> requires no covenant. I don’t believe this is what you intended, just
> covering all bases.

Not age of encumbrance, quite.
Instead, it is the simple fact that the UTXO is a UTXO (and not yet spent),
that validates the advertisement.

No, it does not *require* a covenant.
However, covenants do make it easier to use, in the sense that the renter can
repurpose the UTXO (e.g. change details of advertisement) without having to
contact the owner.

> > Burnt funds cannot be "un-burnt" to easily signal the end of a term for an
> > advertisement.
>
> And as I have shown above, nor can a “locked-up” coin be unlocked to do the
> same.

You have shown no such thing, merely shown that you have not understood the
proposal.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj