> On Jun 21, 2022, at 12:28, Keagan McClelland via bitcoin-dev
> <bitcoin-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
>

> > The PoW security of Bitcoin benefits all Bitcoin users, proportional to the
> value of BTC they hold; if Bitcoin blocks aren't reliably created the value of
> *all* BTC goes down. It doesn't make sense for the entire cost of that
> security
> to be paid for on a per-tx basis.

Actually it does. People who transact are realizing the benefit of money - the
avoidance of barter costs. Those who never transact, never realize any benefit.

> And there's a high chance paying for it on a
> per-tx basis won't work anyway due to lack of consistent demand.
>
> FWIW I prefer the demurrage route. Having something with finite supply as a
> means of measuring economic activity is unprecedented and I believe deeply
> important. I'm sympathetic to the argument that the security of the chain
> should not be solely the responsibility of transactors.

Chain security - censorship resistance (as opposed to individual double-spend
security), is entirely dependent upon tx fees.

> We realize the value of money on receipt, hold *and* spend and it would be
> appropriate for there to be a balance of fees to that effect.

There is zero point in saving if you never spend. You can instead just burn
your coin.

> While inflation may be simpler to implement (just chop off the last few
> halvings), I think it would be superior (on the assumption that such a hodl
> tax was necessary) to keep the supply fixed and have people's utxo balances
> decay, at least at the level of the UX.

A hoard decays naturally due to opportunity cost. Investing it requires
transaction to invest, and transaction to earn (profit), and transaction to
return it (interest).

> But also none of this should be reasons we don't improve Bitcoin's value (and
> therefore demand)

Demand is the only reason we save, and eventually transacting is the only
motivation for saving. No transacting implies no demand - and no security.