On Mon, 2023-10-23 at 15:35 +0000, Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev wrote:
> Thus
> we should limit BIP assignment to the minimum possible: _extremely_
> widespread
> standards used by the _entire_ Bitcoin community, for the core
> mission of
> Bitcoin.

BIPs are Bitcoin Improvement *Proposals*. What you suggest would imply
that someone needs to evaluate them even before they become proposals.
And this raises plenty of notoriously hard to answers questions:
 * Who is in charge?
 * How to predict if a proposal will be a widespread standard?
 * What is the core mission of Bitcoin?
 * How to measure if something is for the core mission?
 * Who and what is the _entire_ Bitcoin community?

Best,
Tim