I think this is a good idea, but suggest that the numbers include year and
number in the year. We do that for all the research and “wallet improvement
proposals” at Blockchain Commons. This way numbers don’t grow huge like
EIPs currently do.

I might also suggest that the numbers are only automatically offered when a
maintainer does not reject it for three days. That way they can focus on
just responding to obvious spam, and if rejected the moderator name is on
it, rather than the current anonymous pocket veto.

— Christopher Allen [via iPhone]