I beg to disagree: key owner broadcasts first bundle (let's call it this way)
so that it is on any miner's best interest to include said bundle on their's
attempted coinbase because they know if they don't any other competing miner
will in the next block.

Once more I think it's worth mentioning the principle of weakest link: if
cracking this Lamport chain within the stipulated few blocks time is harder
than the double-spending attack, by definition, it's (much!) more than hard
enough.

Consider a 12 bytes = 96 bits Lamport hash link (Less than half a Schnorr
signature). Assume a cracking power of one order of magnitude higher than the
current global hash rate of say 10^21 H/s. Already our assumption is
outrageously pessimistic for more that two reasons: 1) The whole premise of
Bitcoin being secure is presumptive unfeasibility of that attack (weakest-link
argument); 2) Memory-hard hashes, by definition, are ASIC-resistant in the
first place (so, being less efficient than ASICS, the CPUs necessary to match
that hashing power would be far *more* costly than today's total global mining
hardware). In other words, we are giving away the hardness of the hash.

Let's assume a generous window of 1M seconds, so 10^27 hashes. Multiplying that
by log2(10), we have shy of 2^89 hashes (actually it's 2^ 'shy of 89', but
again: erring on the side of safety). That divided by our 2^96 possible
pre-images gives a probability of approximately 2^-6 < 0.02. This doesn't sound
very impressive, but an important thing to have in mind is that this attack
would destroy utility only of its specific victim (owner of target UTXO),
unlikely the 50%+epsilon attack, in which the adversary may block whomever they
want from ever having a transaction mined. Again, we are giving away over 11
days for good measure to safeguard against loss of connection.

More importantly, the economic viability of that attack: if your UTXO has less
than ~50 times the cost of that operation, which we could lower bound for, say,
half of blocks rewards (again, generously assuming 100% ROI for mining). Let's
be generous once again disregard mining fees, which would give us (block
reward)*(seconds)/((1+ROI)*(second per block)*(prob. success)) = 6.25*10^6 /
(2*600*0.02)BTC ~ 260416 BTC.

So mine is an argument of economic viability: clearly adversary's economy of
scale is positive, and it doesn't make sense to consider an adversary with more
scale than that necessary for double spending. Even at that unrealistically
large scale, however, and even assuming your adversary would gain 1000 times
more utility than what they make their victim loose, it would still be unworthy
to conduct such attack to an UTXO of less than 1K BTC.

In retrospect, I'm beginning to think that 12 bytes is rather an overkill.

YSVB

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.