Hi Peter

Interesting post. By implicitly committing in advance to the fee paid by the
spending transaction CTV is certainly nailing its colors to the CPFP mast
rather than operating in a RBF world. And in a future high fee environment
(ignoring whatever is driving those high fees, monetary or non-monetary use
cases) as you state paying for an additional CPFP transaction is suboptimal
rather than just replacing an existing unconfirmed transaction.

I did a cursory search to look for an in depth technical comparison of CPFP and
RBF and I found this from Antoine (Poinsot) on Bitcoin StackExchange [0]. In
that he states his view that:

"If most nodes didn't enforce mandatory BIP125 signalling, RBF would be
superior in all aspects to CPFP from the perspective of the emitter of
transaction. CPFP is much less efficient, and not always possible: you need the
transaction to have a change output and (at least at the time of writing [0])
the parent to pass policy checks on its own, for instance if it's below the
minimum feerate of most mempools on the network you won't be able to CPFP it at
the moment."

I assume that a CTV based LN-Symmetry also has this drawback when compared to
an APO based LN-Symmetry? In theory at least an APO based LN-Symmetry could
change the fees in every channel update based on what the current market fee
rate was at the time of the update. In today's pre LN-Symmetry world you are
always going to have justice transactions for revoked states that were
constructed when the market fee rate was very different from the present day's
market fee rate.

Thanks
Michael

[0]:
https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/117703/comparison-between-cpfp-and-bip125-for-fee-bumping

--
Michael Folkson
Email: michaelfolkson at protonmail.com
GPG: A2CF5D71603C92010659818D2A75D601B23FEE0F

Learn about Bitcoin: https://www.youtube.com/@portofbitcoin