I absolutely understand your reasoning. And it's also more business for you if
the customer goes over $0. It's like asking Bell Canada to not provide long
distance service by default. It would be depriving them of their good chunk of
revenue source and it's un-fair. But maybe an option to TRUE pre-paid vs
pre-paid/post-paid should be given to all customers at sign-up or portal level.
I also understand that from a billing point of view this is a lot of work but
it may clear the air for your customers who expect to receive some leniency if
a bill is not paid within few hours on a pre-paid/post-paid account model.

Regards,
Bruce