My relatively limited experience is that there is no such thing as
uniformity of size in the horned blackbelly sheep.  I've had yearlings
only come up to 50 pounds, and I just sold/slaughtered two yearlings at
right around the 100 pound mark.

"When to slaughter" I think starts with a program of trying to raise
animals that will reach a reasonable size in a reasonable amount of
time.  We're working hard to eliminate freeloaders from our flock and
breed animals that will meet certain weight gain criteria.  I see no
point in butchering a yearling that will fit on the Weber spit.

That being said, it probably takes a bare minimum of 9 months to have
any decent amount of meat on a blackbelly carcass.  Otherwise, you can
pretty much butcher them anytime you want.

We are trying to synchronize our flock so that they will all be bred in
March for August babies.  That is not so good for having lambs on spring
pasture, but it gives us 10 months to actually finish our lambs on
spring/early summer grass and butcher in late June when the grass is
starting to lose its nutrition.  These lambs have been large enough to
butcher, and drop dead delicious.  I have found that weaning lambs at
the same time that I am finishing lambs are two mutually exclusive
operations in my particular situation.

If you can extrapolate anything from the grassfed beef raising
information, the animals has to be old enough to have most of its
frame-growing done and be putting on fat to produce the most toothsome
table meat.   Everything I've applied from beef to sheep has been spot
on.

Because I raise our sheep "naturally," i.e. don't pour the concentrates
to them after weaning to make them grow artificially fast, we experience
a flat spot in their growth after weaning (if they are not on really
rich pasture).  So my guess is that any natural, farm raised lamb,
particularly blackbelly, will be far from the industry growth rates that
we are accustomed to seeing.

Anyway, give it time to grow out its frame and "finish" before you
butcher, and you will likely have a more flavorsome product, not to
mention enough to be worth packaging.

Regards,
Barb L.