Our little blackbelly lambs may have trouble "grading" like wool breed
sheep, but there's no question they can attain a succulent "artisan"
quality.  As we struggle along to found our little flock and farm, we
sure take some interesting side-trips into the many aspects of a
birth-to-harvest operation.

Yesterday, we got some real surprises.  First bad, then...oh my!!!  Lamb
chops so delicious it sparked a celebration!

The two lambs we had just harvested were "finished" differently this
time out of necessity.  We are trying to establish a totally
forage-based flock, but can't do that just yet because our land needs to
undergo a lot of healing before it will be capable of eliminating grain.
Still, we shoot for harvesting the lambs at the peak of the grass
season, before the pasture quality starts to decline.

Because of the time of year these boys were born, they went through the
summer months, beyond the quality pasture season.  However, they found
themselves shouldering out the nursing ewes at a feed bunk loaded with
alfalfa and grain, topped with a little soy.

By all accounts, this is NOT a good finishing diet for ruminants.  There
is way too much protein, which can actually reduce the "finish" on an
animal because they require the "energy" component of the feed to
metabolize the excess protein.  The energy is what makes the fat.
Protein in excess drains the energy off.

However, these guys obviously didn't suffer too much from their excess,
except in one significant way...the excessive protein resulted in an
early case of sheath rot in one of the wethers, which would have
definitely been a problem had it gone any longer.

Still, there were a couple of interesting questions that we had to wait
to find the answers to while the lambs hung at the abbatoir...firstly, I
have an article that says alfalfa can taint the flavor of the meat!  The
second was a lot more subtle.  I have read that calcium in the meat
interferes with the toughening process that sometimes happens after
death.  Alfalfa is famous for its high content of calcium.  That is not
the only thing that makes calcium virtually a "wonder" mineral, but we
sure had a vested interest in the results of this harvest.

Our pastures are low in calcium (we are working on that, but can only
achieve small increments of progress).  The last lambs we harvested had
a couple of unfortunate strikes against quality...the first was that I
obviously wasn't supplying enough calcium, and the second was the
unfortunate appearance of a neighbor when the slaughter truck pulled in.
I should probably save that for another post.

Anyway, the most recent two were ten months old and lovely, long-bodied
animals.  One hung at 56 lb and the other slightly less.  Like typical
blackbellies, there was a small amount of fat cover, but well, much too
much visceral fat!  These boys were probably past their "physiological
finish point" where we were throwing money away feeding them, because
they really weren't going to get any better than they were.

Because of a prior experience (another post), the animals were settled
and quiet in the barn and nobody was allowed to lay a finger on them.
They were dropped in their tracks within seconds of each other and never
knew what hit them.  The truck was full of warm beef and had at least
30-40 minutes trip to the abbatoir.  This is another aspect of
quality...cooling too quickly can cause toughening.  I read that
sometimes it is better to persuade your butcher to slaughter late in the
day, so the small, thin-fat-covering carcass will be put in a cooler
that is warmed somewhat from being filled during the day.

Yesterday I picked up my order (the lambs had hung for about 21 days)
and quickly opened a package of chops.  They had a very thin strip of
fat on the outer edge and the meat was flecked with fine bits of
marbling.  The meat was a very appealing color.  I had a good feeling.

I couldn't wait to tear into the barbecued chops!  No nothin' on them
but salt and pepper.  The first bite almost startled me!  I could have
cut the meat with a dessert spoon!  Unquestionably we had surpassed
"choice" and gone to "artisan!"  The meat was so moist and tender and
the flavor was so unbelievably succulent!   Dinner was so divine, we had
to top it off by dashing to the local cafe for a slice of cheesecake and
coffee!

Our lambs have always been moist and delicious, but this degree of
tenderness was the stuff of $100 a plate restaurant meals!

Gee, we have such an untapped treasure in these animals!  There is so
much to learn about "finishing" them to this artisanal quality, but the
first thing we need to do is really acknowledge what we have and what we
are capable of.  I have a lot more thoughts to share, but this is enough
for one post!

The important notes are:

High calcium levels in the meat interfere with the toughening process.
Longer cooling times help tenderness.
Too much protein negatively impacts "finish" and is not good for the
animal, but alfalfa does NOT hurt flavor!
Never let any fool get anywhere near your animals at slaughter time, if
it is at all possible to avoid it.

I have a couple of other things to share, but this has rambled on long
enough.

Regards,
Barb Lee
Blacklocust Farm