Imagine putting ten months of tender loving care, not to mention feed
and management and other resources into raising a gorgeous, perfectly
finished blackbelly lamb, then having all your work ruined in the 30
seconds prior to slaughter...or worse yet, getting packages back from
the butcher labelled "pork steaks!" Or "pork shoulder roast!"

Earlier this summer, we were preparing to have three wethers slaughtered
on the farm.  The mobile slaughter truck pulled in, and behind it, a
neighbor, whom I hadn't seen in a long time (years).

The slaughter guy talked me into killing the lambs in a manner that
required handling.  What ensued was a sheep rodeo, with my neighbor
launching enthusiastally into the bedlam, apparently having fun making
it worse, and me stupidly not running his *ss off the property.  The
animals were thoroughly traumatized.

Who knows what happens when you haul the poor little buggers to the
butcher instead of having them dropped on the farm without knowing
terror?

Well, the proof of the pudding was in the eating.  The meat was tough.
Tasty and delicious, but tough.

The last three to be harvested were shot on the farm within seconds of
each other and completely without alarm.  These three were also the ones
that received all that tasty calcium rich alfalfa, and the meat
surpassed every expectation of tenderness and flavor!

But get this...there was an older ram slaughtered at the same time as
the two wethers.  Instructions were to grind, and this would likely be
fed to our dog.

When we got our order, we discovered that ALL the ground meat, from two
prime wethers AND all the mutton, had been tossed into the same box.  To
top that off, we received several packages of steaks, which I never
order...just simple chops, roasts, and ground.  BUT that's not the worst
of it!!!  Those steaks were labelled PORK STEAK and some packages were
labelled PORK SHOULDER ROAST!!!

Now, if I had SOLD any of those animals, from the rodeo'd  lambs to the
mis-labelled, mis-processed animals, I would have had some very irate
customers on my hands!  But that's not the only problem.  I worked my
tail off and probably ended up spending close to $6 a pound to raise
those animals and have them processed, and all my work was in theory
wasted, by a careless butcher.

We lose control of the whole process when we hand off the animal to the
butcher!  Lots of us don't have any control over where we must send the
animals, but here in our area, we have at least six abbatoirs, three of
which are USDA inspected and one is certified organic.  The custom shop
has lost our custom, but now we are faced with having to haul our
animals to a USDA plant and await the result of having shipped our
naieve little farm lambs off to a packing plant.

Something tells me that some of these abbatoirs are very much behind the
curve when it comes to awareness of the current groundswell of concern
about  buying local products as well as grass-fed and organic.  Doing
anything less than a first class job of butchering can ruin a year's
worth of the farmer's work and literally wreck his customer base.

We fight the "establishment" with our exceptional but non-standard hair
sheep.  If we are not in partnership with the abbatoir, we seem to be
wasting our time, trying to attain "artisanal" quality in the finished
product.

I am not sure what I am going to do next season, but it will almost
certainly involve hauling the animals in.  Probably the best I can do is
put the best "finish" possible on the lambs and hope that the trip won't
corrupt the finished product.  Until we get these details ironed out, I
will always have some concern that our "finished product" will vary too
widely in quality.

Regards,
Barb Lee
Blacklocust Farm