At 06:20 PM 1/8/2009, you wrote:
>I have been looking at different types of sheep to raise on my
>acerage. I have fallen for black belly sheep and would like to ask
>some advice.
>Since I have never raised sheep before my first question is should I
>start out with black belly sheep? Are they an easy breed to learn
>with?
>Also where can I find black belly sheep in Alberta Canada? Are there
>many in Alberta?
>
>Thanks

They are an excellent starter sheep.  Hardy, thrifty, and smart, they don't
require a lot of human attention.  There are only 2 real down sides to the
breed-their small size, and their flighty temperament.  The second can be
ameliorated somewhat, but only the bottle babies have any chance of being
docile like a Suffolk or Dorper.  You may eventually find yourself wanting a
larger, faster growing breed, but many people are quite content with BB sheep.

As to finding them in Canada, I've found listings for 4 different sheep raisers
in Canada:

 From http://www.blackbellysheep.info/breeder/breeders.html#canada

Mike Andresen
20244 Twp Rd 510