I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when the hay supply runs out next spring before my pasture comes in. I can't find small bales anywhere locally and those that are farther away are going for up to $12/bale. So I'm wondering about alfalfa pellets or cubes. I know of only two sizes--pellets for rabbilts (1/4 in. diameter or so) and cubes for horses.

I've learned thus far from a goat site that I trust that you can feed the cubes in conjunction with hay, but not as a total replacement. Sheep and goats need the long fiber in hay for their rumens to work properly. The cubes are too chopped up and processed to be a total replacement. The site also said that sheep will not be able to eat those hard cubes "as is"and that I should either break them up with a hammer or soak them in warm water. That's a lot of work I'd rather not have to do.

Do any of you have any experience feeding alfalfa pellets and if so, what quantity and what size pellet and what worked?

Carol

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz