Carol  I found a product called "forage feed' designed for older horses that
cannot chew up their hay very well.

http://www.lucernefarms.com/

 I found it was a very  clean (lack of dust) way  to have hay for my rabbits
when they  live indoors-- The packaging is about the size of a bale of peat
moss or shavings-- and is quite compacted, yet the  feed fluffs out very nicely.
 I have fed the compressed cubes tothe sheep-- but yes, soaking them first is a
must-- and you can get compressed timothy. Alfalfa pellets are just going to
cause trouble if they are a main source of nutrition---  BUT--Beet pulp can be
used to up the fiber content of a homemade mix of  rations. Of course, whole
oats, and even BOSS, in the shell,  excellent  working fiber when all is said
and done.

 Terry W NE OHIO