From: "Carol Elkins" <celk...@critterhaven.biz>
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 7:03:34 PM
Subject: [Blackbelly] Alfalfa pellets/cubes

I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do when the hay supply
runs out next spring before my pasture comes in. I can't find small
bales anywhere locally and those that are farther away are going for
up to $12/bale. So I'm wondering about alfalfa pellets or cubes. I
know of only two sizes--pellets for rabbilts (1/4 in. diameter or so)
and cubes for horses.

I've learned thus far from a goat site that I trust that you can feed
the cubes in conjunction with hay, but not as a total replacement.
Sheep and goats need the long fiber in hay for their rumens to work
properly. The cubes are too chopped up and processed to be a total
replacement. The site also said that sheep will not be able to eat
those hard cubes "as is"and that I should either break them up with a
hammer or soak them in warm water. That's a lot of work I'd rather
not have to do.

Do any of you have any experience feeding alfalfa pellets and if so,
what quantity and what size pellet and what worked?

Carol

Carol Elkins
Critterhaven--Registered Barbados Blackbelly Hair Sheep
(no shear, no dock, no fuss)
Pueblo, Colorado
http://www.critterhaven.biz