On Sun, May 29, 2005 at 03:49:17PM -0500, Michael Langley wrote:

> OK, here's the deal.  Whenever I tell somebody that I use blackbox they
> inevitably assume that I use it because I have to.  People seem to think
> that because I run a minimal wm without Gnome or KDE that I'm
> running an old PII with 128mb RAM or something similarly crappy. This
> is simply not the case.
>
> So I'm wondering what kind of hardware the average blackbox user is
> running on.  Think of this as a sort of poll for the list.  I don't know
> how many people actively monitor this list but if you are reading this
> please do respond.  This information is only to satisfy my own curiosity
> and probably yours as well if you are still reading this.
>

> CPU:     Athlon XP 2100+ @1734 MHz
> RAM:     1 Gig (2x512mb) Dual Channel Mode
> VID:       Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

I think I'm going to "win" with the oldest/slowest system given all the

CPU: 200 MHz Pentium MMX
RAM: 192 M
VID: S3 Virge (4 Meg)

I put this machine together back in 1997 or so, and it initially ran
RedHat 5.0. It now runs Debian, and even though this box is a dinosaur
by any standard it still works well enough for me to use. Blackbox works
exceptionally well on this machine. I also have a SparcStation20 running
Debian that will run Blackbox once a few problems getting X working are
resolved. That machine is a dual processor box - each processor a
whopping 50 MHz - with 512 M memory. The current 2.6 kernels do not run
in SMP mode on 32-bit sparc unfortunately; the older 2.4 kernels did.

Art Haas

-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822