On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:48:28 -0500
Scott Moynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Whose goal? You claim that GUI software is needed, presumably by
> someone, but offer no solutions to the most important problem: Who
> is going to write it? I, for one, am not going to sacrifice my
> time, and perhaps money, fixing a problem that has been fixed well
> for some time now. It simply is not interesting. The thankless
> task of developing GUI software that no one will use, including
> myself, and will lag behind the robust software that already
> solves the same problem is not appealing to nor, I assume, many
> others. If you are willing to pay for the software to be
> developed, that is an entirely different matter, but, again, I
> assume that people wanting to use Linux in their day to day
> business and private computing are not the people that are willing
> to pay for a picture of an envelope on a send button.

Yep, I am willing to pay. I pay for my browser on Linux and a lot of
the software I use on Windows (when I have to be on that OS). My
computer is a tool I use for work. I use Linux because it is better.
I would pay for the OS as well if needed. Again, I am one of those
who use Linux simply because it is a better OS. It is flexible and
robust. Lately I have taken a liking to Mac OS X which is also a
Unix clone. I do not really care who makes it. What I am using my
computer for is too important for me to be idealistic. And yes, the
Linux community should make people like me pay because we would
gladly do so to get what we want, and someone like me is not able to
contribute in the proper way since I am not a programmer.

> > If you need to wrap your head around something it is too
> > complicated.
>
> That, sir, was irony. It seems obvious to me that to view email,
> one needs something that displays text. Every email client is
> basically a collection of text areas all connected together to do
> one job: create and read email.

And a lot more. At least to me. It is a database, it is my memory (I
need search capabilities). It is where I conduct a lot of business,
therefore I need spell checking so that my mails look good. It is my
address book as well. I could go on and on regarding this.

--
Christian Dysthe
http://www.dysthe.net

        "Everyone ought to have a Lower East Side
         in their life"

                                -Irving Berlin-