On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 23:44, Marius Nita wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:15:27PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> > I too use Xinerama in Blackbox, and have some difficulty
> > understanding the frequently voiced viewpoint that Blackbox's
> > Xinerama support is broken in some way.  There is nothing broken
> > concerning Blackbox's current Xinerama support.
>
> I haven't used bb with xinerama, but i believe that there are certain
> "common-sense" issues which bb does not address when used with
> xinerama. when you maximize a window currently in bb, i believe that
> the window spans both screens? (this is not correct behavior)

Please reread what Xinerama is meant to do, that is create one logical
screen.  Spanning all physical screens on a full maximize (horizontal
and vertical) is "correct" behavior, if these physical screens are part
of a Xinerama logical screen.  These are not "common-sense" issues, but
rather aesthetic issues.  Common-sense would indicate that if you create
one logical screen out of multiple screens that you treat it as one
screen, no artificial boundaries.

> also, i don't think that bb addresses the "dead area" issue, when
> xinerama is used with monitors of different resolution: if you have a
> monitor running at 1280x1024 and one that runs at 800x600,
> non-xinerama aware wm's see the screen as one big rectangle, ignoring
> the fact that part of it cannot be used. (since the second monitor is
> much smaller.)

I agree that items should not appear in areas that are off either
physical screen, but am not convinced that an artificial boundary patch
is necessary to make this happen.  Whether the problem is with Blackbox
or Xinerama would require further investigation to find whether Xinerama
is reporting the screen size as one big rectangle.  If so, I would say
the problem lies not with Blackbox, but rather with Xinerama indicating
that the logical screen extends to where the physical screens do not.

> both of these "issues" are discussed in the xinerama howto at
> linuxdoc.org.

It should be noted that this "howto", which can be found here:

http://linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Xinerama-HOWTO.html

has no relation to the development of Xinerama.  The views expressed
within it are the opinions of the author and his contributors, not of
the developers of Xinerama.

Jamin W. Collins