On 26-Feb-2002 Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> Here's an update to the previous script based on the feedback received.
> I've attempted to make the script somewhat more shell neutral.  Please let
> me know of any problems you encounter.  I didn't mean to start a
> shell-war, I simply coded the script for the shell I was using (that
> appears to have been a bit of a mistake).
>
> Here's a short snippet of the changes in this version.
>
>  2/26/02 - v0.02
>        - adjust script to run under ash (per user feedback)
>        - removed extranious IFS variable setting
>        - removed shell header comment from created bbsession file
>        - added check for temp file creation programs
>
> Jamin W. Collins

Not a bad first cut.  It currently fails on any X app which uses a controlling
unmapped window (aka netscape, probably acroread, etc).  I have netscape on
workspace 4 and xlsclients lists the controller and not the real window.  Since
netscape never maps the controller this window is missing any blackbox hints.

I think the long term solution will involve querying the window manager.  Only
it can return the definitive list of known windows.

I gutted bblaunch and started a bbsession program.  This is about an hour's
worth of coding, so do not expect too much (-:

And yes it has its own issues.  The command for netscape is set on the unmapped
controller.  So the code needs to query for the client_leader and get the
command from there.  My thought is to store the clients in a map and only store
a client if it does not have a leader.  This will also prevent bbsession from
getting confused if you run it while composing an email (which I did, and it
did get confused).

No offense intended Jamin, I just do not feel a shell script will get us to the
goal.