On 05-Apr-2002 Kevin Geiss wrote:
> I noticed something new in this release which i love!
>
> I often middle click on a link in mozilla to bring up the link in a new
> browser window. previously, the new mozilla window would pop up slightly to
> the right and lower than the old window. since the window is the right size
> to fill the screen except for the slit and the toolbar, this had the
> tragic effect of covering the toolbar and about 2/3 of the slit.
>
> So i was forced to develop the unfortunate habit of moving the new
> mozilla window by mouse back on top of the old window.
>
> but in this new version, the new window is placed within a pixel or two of
> the old, and there is no longer any need for me to move it by hand!
>
> what a nice breath of fresh air! one less tedious mouse operation! excellent
> work!

This is the 'strut support' you have heard me talk about.  What happens is the
screen's dimensions are taken, then the toolbar says "please give me X pixels
<here>" and the slit does the same.  When a window is opened or maximized this
adjusted area (referred to as screen->availableArea() in the source) is used to
decide window dimensions and placement.  Note I did not say resize or user
move.  Blackbox does not get in the user's way here.

This same strut code is used by the netwm spec to allow other windows the same
ability to ask for some screen real estate.  Examples windows would be the
bbpager, kde/gnome's panel, etc.

If you decide you do not like the strut, no problem it can be turned off just
like you could in the old code -- configure menu -> full maximization.  In the
future you will have the option to include (or not) the slit and the toolbar
independently.  I have not added this yet because I have tried to keep the
blackboxrc format the same.