Some more info on this bug:
  OS: FreeBSD-4.5 STABLE
  BB: CVS HEAD (5/7/02)

Apps started from ~/.xsession (before blackbox starts) all
show up in the slit, however they are all also stacked
ontop of one another at 0,0. I ran xprop on the
artifact window:

phi:~$ xprop
WM_HINTS(WM_HINTS):
                Initial state is Don't Care State.
                window id # to use for icon: 0xc00004
                starting position for icon: 0, 0
                window id # of group leader: 0xc00003
WM_PROTOCOLS(ATOM): protocols  WM_DELETE_WINDOW
WM_COMMAND(STRING) = { "ascpu", "-withdrawn" }
WM_ICON_NAME(STRING) = "ascpu"
WM_CLASS(STRING) = "ascpu", "ASCPU"
WM_NAME(STRING) = "ascpu"
WM_NORMAL_HINTS(WM_SIZE_HINTS):
                user specified location: 0, 0
                user specified size: 54 by 54
                program specified minimum size: 54 by 54
                program specified maximum size: 54 by 54
                window gravity: NorthWest

Then I tried to use 'xkill' on it, but it didn't work. Then
I tried 'xkill -frame' and it dissapeared from the slit and
the duplicate at 0,0 went away. But to my supprise there
was another slit app artifact under it at 0,0.

(will dig a little more into this)
-James