On 22-Jul-2002 Cary Mathews wrote:
> Umm, hi. I've been using BB for a while, really enjoy the minimal feel. I
> just upgraded from 0.62.1 to 0.65.x (from sourceforge) and had some
> confusion over terminology. I had assumed that the "slit" was the bar at
> the bottom of the screen which had the workspace name in it and the time.
> But from this discussion I see that there is (also?) a "toolbar"? Where is
> that enabled, or is what I have desribed as the "slit" really the
> "toolbar"? If that is the case, what is the slit? :}
>
> (Sorry for posting to an older thread, but this has the history for those
> who may not understand what I'm talking about.)

this is defined in the man page:

Blackbox provides configurable window decorations, a  root
menu  to launch applications, and a toolbar that shows the
current workspace name, the focused application name,  and
the  current  time.  There is also a workspace menu to add
or remove workspaces. The `slit' can be used to dock small
applications, e.g. most of the bbtools can use the slit.

toolbar --> the ubiquitous bar on the screen in every blackbox screen shot

slit --> window which holds smaller windows just as the bbtools and window
maker dock apps.  It is only visible when it contains items.