Randy McMurchy wrote:
 However, I think you misunderstood
> the purpose of my message.

No.  I understood it completely, I was just making sure you knew about
the link while I thought some more about your ideas.  :-)

> I'm not so much looking for advice on *how* to get things to build,
> I'm more looking for a community decision (branch, whatever) on how
> we should go about *presenting* this information to the community.

A branch is the right way.

If I understood your plan 'a placeholder in place of the real
instructions' in a branch, then many, probably working, packages will be
ommitted.  Of course, a user could just nip over to 6.1, but why make
him bother. Can't we do a blanket 'WARNING not validated for GCC-4 yet -
please report success to ...' insert into all package instructions?
Essentially, I'm saying the placeholder should be the GCC-3 instructions
with a warning.

I think you will be surprised by the speed with which GCC-4 will become
the mainstream for LFSers.

Richard.