On 3/15/06, DJ Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Personally, I don't care which method is chosen so long as the TTF and
> OTF dirs are available to fontconfig.  If we choose to simplify it by
> adding it directly into the X instructions, then I _like_ the RedHat
> solution suggested by Dan (/usr/share/X11/fonts).  My only argument for
> this - no matter which flavor, version, or prefix is chosen for X, the
> fonts are in the same location and the instructions are the same for all
> three packages and all prefixes.  IMO, from a maintenace POV, and
> possibly from a support POV, that is the best solution.

DJ,

Since you have a lot of experience here, maybe you could run a test
build of Xorg-7 with the fonts in /usr/share/X11/fonts.  I won't get
there until the weekend probably.

As far as I know, what needs to be done is:

* --libdir=/usr/share for all the font packages.  This resolves as
fontdir=${libdir}/X11/fonts/misc (or whichever package you're on)
* --fontdir=/usr/share/X11/fonts for xorg-server
* symlinks to OTF and TTF in /usr/share/fonts

For Xorg-6 and XFree86, just #define FontDir /usr/share/X11/fonts +
symlinks.  Xorg-7 is what I really care about, though.

--
Dan