On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 04:43:05PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> "The X fonts were not installed in a location known to Fontconfig.
> This prevents Fontconfig from using the poorly rendered Type 1 fonts
> or the non-scalable bitmapped fonts.  Symlinks were created from the
> OTF and TTF X font directories to /usr/share/fonts/X11-{OTF,TTF}.
> This allows Fontconfig to use the scalable OpenType and TrueType fonts
> provided by X."

The last line (and this is probably just a preferential thing):

This allows Fontconfig to use the OpenType and TrueType fonts provided
by X (which are scalable and higher quality).

> As I said in the previous mail, nothing *needs* to be done.  The
> DejaVu hint was just one that seemed like a good tweak, and I thought
> it provided an example of how you can configure Fontconfig.  Please
> let me know if I'm missing what you implied with X and Y above.

I implied that the fonts that are automatically aliased to, say,
"monospace" truly need nothing. The ones that don't alias need something
more. The reason I brought this up is that if I want a particular font
package, it's reasonable to assume I want that font for the aliases as
well. And I'm not considering order of preference in this. That is
below.

> We could create a custom conf file in /etc/fonts/conf.d with a
> preference list (I think).  Part of the problem with playing with the
> conf files that was pointed out by Alexander is that people don't do
> it.

If someone chooses not to do it, that is their problem. I'm sure there
are many who would appreciate such notes.

--
Archaic

Hardened Linux From Scratch
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hlfs