On 5/3/06, Archaic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 04:43:05PM -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:

> "The X fonts were not installed in a location known to Fontconfig.
> This prevents Fontconfig from using the poorly rendered Type 1 fonts
> or the non-scalable bitmapped fonts.  Symlinks were created from the
> OTF and TTF X font directories to /usr/share/fonts/X11-{OTF,TTF}.
> This allows Fontconfig to use the scalable OpenType and TrueType fonts
> provided by X."

The last line (and this is probably just a preferential thing):

This allows Fontconfig to use the OpenType and TrueType fonts provided
by X (which are scalable and higher quality).

Fine by me.

I implied that the fonts that are automatically aliased to, say,
"monospace" truly need nothing. The ones that don't alias need something
more. The reason I brought this up is that if I want a particular font
package, it's reasonable to assume I want that font for the aliases as
well.
<snip>

Let me play around with FC some more.  As it is, there isn't really a
straightforward way to do either step besides just opening fonts.conf
in an editor and making an entry for your new font.  For reference, FC
uses an XML based configuration file with matching, globbing, etc. This is a bit out of date, but the online user documentation explains
this way better than I can and has some samples near the end.

http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html

--
Dan