On 6/13/06, Randy McMurchy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Chris Staub wrote these words on 06/13/06 15:08 CST:
> * In the XFS instructions, it says to run "make install", followed by a
> comment on the installation being "incomplete" and then more commands to
> run as root.

This is probably just a remnant of the initial installation. I
suppose an Editor at one time or another thought it prudent to
separate the commands. I personally don't see the point in
separation.

Hey, it was my first commit!  Give me a break!

I'll fix it up some time in the next week or so when I get time to do
some real editing instead of just throwing stuff out onto the list.
I'm in the last mile of a big project at work.  This email has
received the coveted star in gmail so I don't forget about it.

> * Poppler instructions say "No specific configuration is required." -
> shouldn't that be the standard library configuration paragraph - "As
> with most libraries, no configuration is needed except to add PREFIX/lib
> to ld.so.conf..."

I disagree. I wrote the poppler instructions and I've always
*loathed* that standard library paragraph. I would never include
it in a page I write. That paragraph is only used on a handful
of packages. Many, many, many more packages install libraries
(with no specific configuration) and don't use the paragraph.

I tend to agree with Randy.  In fact, most packages just say "No
specific configuration...".  Only a few add the ld.so.conf stuff,
which seems unnecessary.  Don't really care, though.

> * The Xorg7 fonts page says it needs "Xorg Data" and "Xorg
> Applications", however this is redundant as Xorg Data requires Xorg Apps.

No comment as I'm way behind on Xorg7

I think this came up a week or so ago (probably from Chris :).  I'll
make this change soon.

> * The Xorg Drivers page list Mesa as "optional", but none of the drivers
> actually look for Mesa.

Seems this was just discussed a couple of weeks ago. However, see my
response to the last item.

I'd have to look at the source, but Mesa I believe is a run time
dependency of almost all of the drivers if you plan to enable dri.
Certainly when I fire up X with the radeon driver, it picks out the
r200_dri.so module that comes from Mesa without me telling it to.
This could ultimately be being decided by the X server, but I tend to
think the driver is making this decision.  Regardless, the Mesa dri
drivers are a run-time dependecy if DRI is enabled.  I'll remove the
dependency if it's important to you.  To me, it's just semantics.

> * paps dependencies should list Pango as "Required". Pango is listed but
> it doesn't actually say it's "Required".

Defer to Dan. What is a "paps? :-)

Did I put it in the book?  I can't remember, I think Bruce did.  Paps
is a UTF-8 to PostScript converter, sort of like what a2ps does.  I
haven't actually looked at the source, but I'm fairly certain that it
requires Pango to do any conversion.  Alexander suggested adding it.

http://paps.sourceforge.net/

> -<sect1 id="xorg7-util" xreflabel="Xorg Utilitites">
> +<sect1 id="xorg7-util" xreflabel="Xorg Utilities">

Wait a minute. I like titties.
( http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Titties )

I was thinking the same thing.

--