2008/1/13, Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>  As for hal, you guys seem to have it working, so I suppose it isn't
> a problem.  I still can't figure out why anybody would *want* it,
> maybe that just shows a lack of imagination, or excessive suspicion
> about automation tools which try to guess what I want to do (e.g.
> I've seen it when I was trying gnomebaker under debian: put in an
> audio cd, get a dialog asking silly questions - the application I
> wanted was already open).

Haha my thoughts exactly. With a lot of work I got HAL finally working
and yes it sucks. I can imagine I plug in my mp3 player, to charge it,
and HAL decides to automount it. Then I unplug it, thinking I didn't
mount it and the kernel complains about a device suddenly missing.

HAL just adds an extra step. Instead of thinking "should I mount
this?" you should think "What the hell did HAL did this time? Is it
mounted somewhere?"

Besides that, who needs half a dozen processes eating (some) CPU
cycles. Just my two cents...