On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 08:35:44PM -0600, Robert Daniels wrote:
> Thought I'd share my progress on building KDE4 with everyone.  I think the
> biggest contribution I have is a nearly-complete dependency list.
> Because of the list, this will be a somewhat long message.
 Thanks, very useful.

[...]
> kdebase has been split into kdebase, kdebase-runtime, and kdebase-workspace.
> I'm pretty sure kdebase needs to go first, but I am
> uncertain as to the order of the other two.

 I had got as far as looking at some references, but it all looks
fiendishly complicated,

 The "official" notes on how to build it, at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4
describe it as split into apps, runtime, workspace and say that only
the runtime is required.  They talk about building all three parts
together, but that might be a side-effect of building from trunk
instead of releases (the notes seem to pre-date the "release").

 Being outside-the-loop on kde, I had difficulty understanding why
you would, or would not, want to build plasma (unless you were going
to have a wholly kde4 desktop).

 There was a review at ars.technica [
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/os/kde-40-review.ars ] which points
out this is in many ways still a pre-release (plasma problems, apps
not yet ported).

 The gentoo guide http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4.xml
might also be helpful, even though it's mostly talking about the
details of the gentoo build system (unmask, keywords) -
particularly note the comment on not letting 3.5 and 4 share the same
configuration files.

ĸen