Robert Daniels wrote:
> Thought I'd share my progress on building KDE4 with everyone.  I think the
> biggest contribution I have is a nearly-complete dependency list.
> Because of the list, this will be a somewhat long message.
>
> A few notes beforehand, I made this list by grepping all the CMakeLists.txt
> for every package, as well as looking at cmake's output.
> I think I've gotten at least mostly everything that is actually checked for
> (omitting some redundancies), but there may be something required
> that is not checked for.  Also, note that some optional packages are only
> optional in the sense that kde will compile without them.
> Some, such as pcre, really should be required, as khtml will need it to
> render many sites.
>
> kdebase has been split into kdebase, kdebase-runtime, and kdebase-workspace.
> I'm pretty sure kdebase needs to go first, but I am
> uncertain as to the order of the other two.
>
> Also, you may notice that I don't have kdelibs or base listed as dependencies
> for most packages.  Everything has a check reading
> 'find_package(KDE4 REQUIRED)' which looks like a variable expansion, but I
> could not find a definition of it anywhere.  In any case,
> I would say to install in order kdelibs, kdepimlibs, kdebase,
> kdebase-runtime, kdebase-workspace, then everthing else.
>
> All packages compiled with the following commands: (from top sourcedir)
> mkdir build
> cd build
> cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/kde-4.0.0
> make
> make install
>
> Obviously, the prefix can be adjusted to whatever you want.  Also, there is a
> switch analogous to --sysconfdir, but I don't know what it is.
> You will want this to put config files into /etc/kde4 or similar.  I wasn't
> too concerned with it myself.

-DSYSCONF_INSTALL_DIR=/etc/kde4

> Anyway, on to the dependency list

And a few questions/comments...

> kdelibs
>    Required: strigi, jpeg, giflib, libpng, libxml2, libxslt,
> shared-mime-info, qt4
>    Optional: alsa, openssl, libintl, xorg, soprano, jasper, openexr, gssapi
> (kerberos), gamin, acl, avahi, aspell, hspell, enchant, pcre

xorg? Why is that optional? Does qt4 not actually require you to have X?

> kdepimlibs
>    Required: kdelibs, gpgme, boost
>    Optional: openldap, cyrus-sasl
> kdebase
>    Required: kdelibs, qimageblitz
> kdebase-runtime
>    Required: kdepimlibs, samba
>    Optional: soprano, xine

I managed to install kdebase-runtime, and I don't have samba. Or did
this change in between prereleases? (I have 3.97.0) Guess I'll have to
try building KDE4 again and double-check...